Withers Fruit Farm LTD
We are committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and minimize any potential impact on the environment. We operate in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and we strive to use best practices to minimize the environmental impact and to prevent any pollution.
The Environmental Policy applies to all aspects of our work. It is considered in our Integrated Farm Management Plan.
All managers and supervisors promote and implement a positive approach to sustainability that is rooted in this Environmental Policy.
All managers are responsible for ensuring that the Environment Policy is communicated to all staff, and that awareness of the policy is part of all staff inductions.
All managers are responsible for regular monitoring and review of the Environmental Policy so it is kept relevant, up-to-date, and used across the whole farm.
The Codes of Good Agricultural Practice for the Protection of Air, Water and Soil provide practical guidance to help you avoid causing pollution and to protect soil as a valuable resource.
Objectives and targets
Objectives and targets are set to prevent pollution and mitigate significant environmental impacts.
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision and activities
- Promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner
- Train and educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work
- Respond appropriately to biodiversity related national priorities
- Make a systematic contribution to the development of national biodiversity priorities
- Demonstrate through development and implementation of important programmes and projects, the value of conserving biodiversity as well as the relevance of biodiversity to the improvement of the quality of life of local community
- Reduce our use of natural resources such as energy and water
- Examine and maintain in good working order all water pumping equipment
- When new pumping equipment is purchased consideration is given to ensure energy efficiency and enough pumping capacity
- Control our energy consumption by reviewing and improving our operating, motivation and training practices
- Reuse resources wherever possible rather than dispose of them
- Encourage the use of recycled materials and recycling initiatives
- Eliminate or minimize appropriate pollution releases to the environment (air, soil and water)
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all responsible steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of
- Purchase and use environmentally responsible products accordingly
- Where required by legislation or where significant health, safety or environmental hazards exit, develop and maintain appropriate emergency and spill response programs
- Communicate our environmental commitment to clients, customers and the public and encourage them to support it
- Strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimize the social impact and damage of activities by annually reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities.
- Wherever practicable, sustainable options will be favored within purchases, sourcing suppliers and contracting, such as: choosing local providers, eco-friendly options, recycled goods, low-pollution products.